Saturday 1 January 2011

Out Of My Comfort Zone

I've said it before, but I am always inspired to try different things that I see on Helen's blog, and a couple of months ago I saw a desk calendar that she had made using beer mats and embellishments and thought it was stunning.

Having recently got a new job, and next week my own desk, I wanted to have a go and make one for work.

This was also a great project for using up scraps of paper and embellishments, and a lot of DST and tacky glue!

It took me about 6 hours to complete because I couldn't choose from all my lovely paper and embellishments to use, but I am really really happy with the results. As you can see butterflies are a favourite of mine, and I have also tried to match papers or embellishments to a certain extent with holidays throughout the year. I was sent the santa charm, by a friend and couldn't bear to part with it so using it for December, means that I don't have to!

Unfortunately I don't have access to a binding machine of any kind, so have improvised by using fake gold cheap hoop earrings that I have had for a very long time and never wear. They hold the desk calendar together, and the 6 beer mats stand up perfectly.


I'd like to enter this project into the following challenges:

Paper Pretties Blog - Ring in the New [hope earrings count for this]
One Stitch At A Time - Anything Goes
CES Challenge - Anything Goes
Craft Your Days Away - Punch It Out/Die Cuts [butterflies; flowers for March; and boarder for May)
Southern Girls Challenge - Anything Goes
Alys Sunday Challenge - Anything Goes

14 comments:

  1. These are great!Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. Well done for trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous - love the papers you have used. It is going to look fantastic on your work desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Very creative, love the design.

    Thanks for sharing with us at OSAAT, hugs Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow, this is fab. The earrings look brilliant and I'd have never guessed that was what you'd used. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. they all look fabulous - a great use for earrings :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done on the calenar and massive congratulations on the new job - hope all goes well for you Anj x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea - I've got the beer mats just need to find the time! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous Caroline..

    Thankyou for sharing with us at OSAAT for our anything goes challenge.
    Happy New Year.

    Choccy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great little calendar, very cute! Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls!
    xxAutumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the earings idea,very crafty lol.Your calander looks fabulous.Thanks for joining us at southern girls

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, Caroline, this is beautiful. What a lovely calendar. Thank you for sharing with us at Craft Your Days Away, wishing you a very happy new year and good luck with the challenge xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful project. I am so glad you decided to enter it in our Anything Goes Challenge at Southern Girls. I hope you can join us again for the next challenge.
    Hugz XXX
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is adorable! I love your calender. Thanks for sharing your talent in our "Anything Goes" challenge at Southern Girls. Good Luck!
    Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete